Among all the beers, there is one that stands alone – ginger beer (ale). It is interesting that the drink only resembles real beer in color and foam, and in the classic version it is generally non-alcoholic, also does not contain malt and hops. Next, we will look at several recipes for making alcoholic and non-alcoholic ginger beer at home. These options differ from shop counterparts exclusively in natural ingredients.
Ginger beer is a sweet, highly carbonated drink of a dull brown color with a pronounced ginger aroma, which is drunk strongly chilled in its pure form or used as a component of cocktails with spirits (whiskey, gin, vodka, etc.).
Ginger beer tastes like regular kvass, but a little sweeter. Instead of a malt base, a blend of lemon, cane sugar and ginger is used. The inventor of the drink is an American pharmacist and surgeon Thomas Cantrell. The first recipe appeared in the 70s of the XIX century.
A quick recipe for non-alcoholic ginger beer
- ginger root 2-2.5 cm;
- sugar – 2 tablespoons;
- lemon – 1 pc.
- mint – 2-3 leaves;
- mineral water – 1-1.5 liters.
1. Grate the ginger root and mix with sugar.
2. Add juice squeezed from lemon, mix.
3. Pour the mixture with cold carbonated mineral water, leave for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the ginger beer through cheesecloth, add mint and a few slices of lemon, serve.
Alcoholic Ginger Beer Recipe
- crushed ginger – 25 grams;
- sugar – 400 grams;
- white wine – 150 ml;
- water – 4 liters;
- dry yeast – 15 grams.
1. Mix ginger with sugar and wine, pour over boiled hot water, let cool to 30 ° C.
2. Add dry yeast.
3. After 2-3 hours, when fermentation becomes noticeable, pour the ginger beer into a bottle and place it under a water seal (you can wear a medical glove with a hole in one of your fingers).
4. After 2 days, strain the drink through cheesecloth, pour into bottles, close tightly with corks and refrigerate.
5. After 24 hours in the refrigerator, the alcoholic ginger ale is ready and, thanks to the carbon dioxide, foams almost like a real beer.
Features of ginger beer:
- the second name is ginger lemonade;
- goes well with whiskey;
- non-alcoholic ginger beer is often drunk by the heroes of the Harry Potter books;
- used to treat indigestion, headaches, and coughs;
- people who do not drink alcohol replace champagne with non-alcoholic ginger ale.
Leave a Reply